Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Reflection 12

Describe two tangible take-aways that you think you could apply in your work, In other words, what are two ways you believe you can apply ideas in this chapter to improve your teaching/instructional design work?

This chapter was so interesting to me. I really connected with their explanation of how the brain works in the section, "How Humans Learn The Cognitive Components of Learning". Since having some training in the Garner's Multiple Intellingences, I have always been quite curious as to how the brain works. This was a fairly simplistic outline of how the brain learns. This information is imparative, if we are to teach children effectively! As I was reading about the visual media, I kept thinking about the way I use technology and if there are other ways I could use it to help studens reach their potential. I found the section that talked about the students prior knowledge as an important one. This is something I will keep in mind as I work with my first grade students and my colleagues. I have been working this summer to help integrate the use of technology into our curriculum and have been using some of the concepts in the book to help me design lessons. Teachers can only use technology in which they have been exposed to and had experience with! As I right the lessons, I have to keep my audience in mind, making sure they are working within their comfort zone and at the same time stretching them a bit. I am also excited to share the information that stated taht the Rich Media benefits the low-knowledge learner. In the past, I have worked with kids who struggle in writing. I am going to be looking for a program (tutorial?) that show/teaches kids how to hold their pencil, what their posture should look like and how to form the letters. I am wondering if with the right media instruction if these kids will be able to make the connection they are lacking. This will be an interesting experiment because the act of writing is also a very developmental activity. A student needs to have the ability to grasp the pencil correctly before any of the other things can take place. I loved this chapter! I am excited to see where media will take my students (first grade and colleagues)next year!

4 comments:

hayesmelissa said...

It would be very hard to work with such young kids and integrate technology. It is great to hear that you are trying your best to figure out the best way to do that!

melissa

Anonymous said...

I thought you made a wonderful point about teachers only being able to use technoloy they have been exposed to and are familar with. It could be a great technology to help students learn but if teacher doesnt know about it are isnt familar enough with a techology they are not going to be using it to help there students. I think that is why most of us have goals to stay upto date with what is out there. So if something new happens to be made we will be able to evaluate it and if it can help our students us it.
Tony Vitto

Joe Sobeske said...

Activating prior knowledge is something I learned about but had sort of forgotten. I guess I do it automatically (usually) but now that this chapter talked about how important it is,I'll be doing it more often.

Karel de Waal Malefyt said...

You are correct in stating that it is important to reference to prior knowledge in learning. So often in teaching new things, if things can be referenced from previous lessons, then that helps the "new" stuff that much more. Good luck in incorporating much of this technology in your young classes. Your secondary teachers will be thanking you when they recieve your students!